- Testing Services
- Customized Testing
- ISTA Certificates
- Research Services
- Training & Education
2010 End of Year Update
- There was no significant peak in the summer. Sample volume was steady across most months.
- As in recent years, testing services flowed smoothly in all areas.
- ISTA testing for orange and blue certificates has become a regular service.
- Some new tests and new ways of helping customers were initiated. Major highlights are:
- The purity testing process continues to improve. This is attributed to better management in production fields and seed cleaning and to improved equipment for seed testing.
- Some people are still surprised by high inert. For this reason, the lab will initiate a new service to assist seed cleaners who would like to learn how to detect high inert in their cleaning process.
- We offer a digital seed imaging service to assist in the cleaning process, among other uses.
- Germination runs parallel to purity and is usually planted within 3-4 days of sample arrival.
- Customers can see on the web what date their samples have been planted, and whether they are being pre-chilled or not. This allows them to estimate when to expect the weekly counts on the web.
- Customers remain interested in faster testing and reporting of annual and perennial ryegrass. We have submitted a rule proposal to shorten the germination-fluorescence evaluation period of annual ryegrass.
- Requests for special tests have been heavy and continue to increase.
- Ploidy testing on leaf samples from annual ryegrass fields was initiated for the first time with good results.
- We began testing for oil, protein, and moisture content using NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance).
- There is active use of TZ testing of native grasses and forbs.
- The seed lab provides design and implementation of specific research for private seed companies.
- Almost half of the sample certificates are now entered on the web.
- We recommend that our customers become online service users so they can enter sample certificates as well as access test results.
- Forty-six clients have the capacity to print their test reports remotely in their own office. We encourage more clients to use this option. For more information contact us at email@example.com or register at http://web.oscs.orst.edu/online/
- Mrs. Sherry Hanning, longtime purity supervisor, retired at the end of December but may continue to work with us periodically. Kathy Korn, Certified purity analyst, has taken her place as interim purity supervisor.
- Dr. Sabry Elias remains active in the leadership of various AOSA committees.
- Dr. Adriel Garay has been elected as the ISTA purity committee chair.
Future needs and projections
To keep providing a high level of service, the lab will need to continue to pay attention to the changing needs in the industry, maintain high quality staff, upgrade testing equipment, and continue to innovate testing methods.
For questions or comments please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541-737-4464. Thank you for using OSU Seed Laboratory services.