- Testing Services
- Customized Testing
- ISTA Certificates
- Research Services
- Training & Education
Imaging and Information Systems
Development of digital and electronic information systems in seeds
We have an advanced information system that contains information and test results of approximately 30,000 tests every year. This information can be used to analyze data on purity, germination, specific contaminants, and other quality attibutes by crops, years, companies, warehouse, etc. It can be used to generate research to understand and solve problems, to assist customers on seed management programs, and to plan innovations for the lab or customers.
- Seed services database and applications programs have been developed and maintained by a team of IT professionals. These resources are used daily to manage all testing information electronically, including web entry of test requests and web access to test results.
- Many computer searches have been performed for purity, inert, germination, and other tests by crops, years, etc. for statistical purposes and specific company seed management decisions can be generated. Data is also used for testing rule changed.
- The laboratory has developed a procedure to provide seed image information on inert and specific crop or weed seeds found in any particular sample upon customer (grower, cleaner or dealer) request. The image of the contaminants side by side with the crop seed provides the critical information that words cannot describe. This seed image information is then used to make re-cleaning or other seed management decisions.
- The Seed Laboratory has developed high quality digital images of 100 common crops and weeds of Oregon and Northwest region of the US, and organized them into a book. The image book is available for sale. The images are also used in workshops for seed analysts, growers, cleaners, dealers and extension services interested in seed identification.
Interests and opportunities for new projects
- Future opportunities are in seed image development and generation of company specific information (for growers, cleaners, dealers) for whom there are abundant test results in our database.